The Major Objectives of the Department of Geography and Planning
Promote the understanding of the spatial dimensions of human behavior within the physical
and cultural systems of the earth and the role of planning in achieving improvement in those systems.
Offer a well-balanced curriculum which will aid students in finding productive places in society.
Maintain a faculty and staff dedicated to teaching, scientific research and community and regional service.
For information on specific Undergraduate Degrees, please visit the Undergraduate Program page.
The Department of Geography and Planning at Appalachian State offers several undergraduate and graduate degrees, as well as two different minor degrees. Graduate programs can be completed with either an internship or a thesis.
- B.S. degree in General Geography
- B.S. degree in Geography with a concentration in Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- B.S. degree in Community & Regional Planning
- B.A. degree in Geography
- Minor in Geography
- Minor in Community & Regional Planning
- Undergraduate Certificate in Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- The Honors College at Appalachian
For information on specific Graduate Programs of Study, please visit the Graduate Program page.
- M.A. in Geography
- M.A. in Geography with a concentration in Geography
- M.A. in Geography with a concentration in Geographic Information Science
- M.A. in Geography with a concentration in Planning
- Graduate Minor in Geography
Certificate: (Review requirements and availabiltiy with our Graduate Coordinator)
- Graduate Certificate in Geographic Information Science
- Graduate Certificate in Planning